SOMETIMES I CRAFT MYSELF

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

My Little Love Button

 I'm in desperate need of some Valentine's Day Decor, but I haven't got a lot of funds to purchase a bunch of stuff so I've raided my craft supplies and I came up with this sweet little thing....

It's as CUTE as a BUTTON!!!

Awhile back, my Nana gave me a bunch of old buttons. They're really cool. I separated them all by color and when I got this idea to make up this cute little framed Valentine's Day decoration, I went straight to my Nana's buttons. I feel like this is a really fun way to use them. Every year I can pull out my "Little Love Button" frame and think of my Nana.

So... I decided to create a little tutorial for ya......

First thing you'll need is a picture frame. I chose one that I purchased from Walmart awhile back for $2.00. Then, you'll need some Mod Podge and a brush for application (I only had the Outdoor Mod Podge on hand so I was a bit worried about using it, but it worked wonderfully). Then you'll need some mismatched buttons in various sizes, a scrap of fabric roughly the size of your frame. I choose black but I think pink would be cute too. And last but not least.....a glue gun.


I removed the glass portion out of the frame and applied the Mod Podge to one side. Then I placed my scrap of fabric onto it, smoothing with my fingers to remove any bumps. I let that dry for a bit, then trimmed any excess fabric around the glass. It doesn't have to be perfect because the edges will be hidden behind the frame anyway.

Next, I put the glass portion into the frame, fabric side facing out, and attached the backing of the frame.

Then I got my buttons together and laid them out in a way that I felt worked best for the size of the frame and size of the buttons. 
After I had the buttons placed, I took one button at a time, starting from the top of the "L",  put a dab of glue on the back of the button, then placed it onto the black fabric. I have to admit that at first I was putting the dab of glue directly on to the fabric then placing the button, but after a few of those, I was sick of removing all those annoying glue gun strings and realized putting the glue onto the back of the button was probably a better way to do things. 
Much better and NO STRINGS!!

And here is the end result....

I just love it. 
I'm so glad that I found a use for some of my Nana's buttons. I think this thing turned out pretty cute. It was very simple to do and it only took me about 20 minutes total to gather my supplies and put the thing together from start to finish. 

Easy and Cheap... Just like me!! LOL 

17 comments:

Katie@a mom, a wife, and a me said...

Thats totally super!

Unknown said...

I'm a button addict - therefore, I love this!

Craftiliciousness said...

Cute idea! Thanks for sharing!

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

This is absolutely darling!! What a fabulous Valentine item! The buttons are genius!

~Alison
http://oopsey-daisy.blogspot.com/

Sassy's Ramblin's said...

This is super cute!

Doreen said...

Thanks for the inspiration -- I have way too many buttons...I'm your 34th follower :)

Get Your Story On said...

I can totally do this.....like right now!!! LOL Love it too cute. Oh and I LOVE the name of your Blog :)

Get Your Story On said...

Cute Blog name :)

kbloems27 said...

So cute!! I need some fund friendly Valentines decor too!!

Kate
www.bloemersfamily.blogspot.com

Crystal said...

I am loving your blog (and title) & thankful for MP Amy for posting this on FB. I'm going to follow you! I have a new craft blog & hope you'll stop by! Not a lot up there yet, but we're getting our craft on & getting the ball rolling :) Glad to have found you!!

Melissa said...

How cute! Love it!

leannewitney said...

Cheap and easy.. haha

I love this craft! I think I'll have to try it... SO CUTE!

myself said...

This is super adorable! And can be varied in so many ways for "other" things. Good for you!

Jenna, SAS Interiors said...

LOVE this project! I just featured it in a Vday post with a link back to your site. Come over, take a look, and grab my 'featured at' button. http://www.sasinteriors.net/2011/01/red-white-and-pink-valentines-decor.html

~Jenna, SAS Interiors
www.sasinteriors.net

Chris said...

This is just so cute! I wish I had more red buttons right now! Love it!

Anonymous said...

Love it and I have all the supplies!! Adding this to my list to make! :)

Sheri@childmade.com said...

This turned out very cute! Well done! Thanks for sharing ... I'll be linking. And please come join my link party anytime!

http://childmade.com/index.php?name=Shared%20links

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...